Monday, December 8, 2008

Home at last


It is good to be home. We landed on Saturday morning around 9:30 and it took 2 hours to get through the customs & immigrations checks so we didn't arrive home until around 12:00 noon. We were exhausted and hungry. Fortunately, one of my wonderful friends, Pam, had stocked my refrigerator with food so all I had to do is warm up lunch for everyone. Also, my sister flew up from FL to help me adjust with life at home with 2 children and also to help us all adjust to the time zone.

The past few days have been hard for us all as we adjust to the time. Both Isabel and Evan have been tag-teaming me with their needs so I have had little sleep, but I believe we've turned a corner today. Other than their regular naps, both children have been awake and active all day. I've also been able to get Evan back to his regular schedule, which he desperately needed. Isabel will go back to daycare tomorrow and see all her friends that she has been missing and Evan and I will work on getting his room organized. My sister kept everything else going as I attended to the children, which was a huge help. My hope is that we all have a regular 8 - 10 hour sleep tonight and are refreshed tomorrow morning.

Overall, I think this trip and the adoption went very well. My adoption agency, Adoption Center of Washington [www.adoptioncenter.com] did a great job managing the adoption process. Their in-country coordinator, Thao, is a terrific person and anticipated every issue and need we had. I met several families in Vietnam who were amazed at how smooth and organized my process has been. Also, my travel agency, Professional Travel in Hagerstown, booked us great flights and made sure we had the best seats available. We had no complications or issues with any of our flights.

Vietnam is a beautiful country and the people are very friendly. Someday I hope to take Evan back to see the country in which he was born. The culture was established long before the Americas were discovered. Yet, I am amazed at how much US influence there is. Obama and US politics are everywhere. Kentucky Fried Chicken is very popular, as well as, many western foods. The US dollar is accepted almost everywhere and almost everyone knows English. If it wasn't for the "ant-like" motorbikes, Pho noodles sold on every corner, the thin people, and thick smog, one might think they were in a US city.

So, now, a new chapter in our lives begins. Based on the past 2 weeks, I think we're going to have a blast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you all made it home safe! That was so nice of your friend(s) to have your frig stocked with some food for you. And glad Diane is there to help you out! So happy for you, Michelle! You and Isabel have received a wonderful addition to your family. Evan has a great Mommy and a sweet Big Sister. Enjoy!!

Love, Laurie

Barbwire said...

Yippee, yahooo!! Welcome Home!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
We are so very happy for you! What a beautiful family the three of you make. We hope your holidays are full of many more blessings.

Love,
Eddie, Laura & Ellie

Barbwire said...

Well, how are things going - getting into the flow of things just in time to change it up for Christmas? :-)
I'd love to see some more pics - I am sure both children are enjoying the Christmas lights.
Blessings, Barb